Effective Winter 2019, all approved waiver submissions will be audited.
Therefore, you will be required to upload a copy of your medical ID card (front and back) and insurance policy for international students in order to submit a waiver.
Academic HealthPlans (AHP) is the new plan administrator for UC SHIP that processes all enrollments and waivers. Please contact AHP at UCSHIP@AHPservice.com for the following items:
· To enroll yourself and/or dependent(s) into UC SHIP
· To check the status of your enrollment(s)
· To check the status of your waiver submission
· If you encountered an error while waiving
Applying for a Waiver: Waiver applications are completed online during the fall or spring waiver periods. A new waiver application has to be completed each academic year in the fall.
Be sure you remain covered. If your health coverage is terminated for any reason, contact your campus’ Student Health Insurance Office to re-enroll in UC SHIP.
ACADEMIC YEAR 2019-2020
|Semester||Waiver Opens||Waiver Deadline||Late Waiver Deadline w/$50 late fee|
|Fall Semester||May1st, 2019||August 1st, 2019||August 2nd, 2019|
** Your waiver application will be subject to audit for which you may be asked to provide additional information regarding your health insurance plan. If the coverage information you provide does not meet the university’s criteria and fails to pass the audit, you will be enrolled in the UC SHIP and charged the premium fee for the full coverage period on your student account.
** If you fail to provide documentation when asked, your approval will be canceled, you will be enrolled in UC SHIP, and the appropriate UC SHIP insurance premium fee for the full coverage period will be billed to your student account.
In an effort to align minimum waiver criteria with the benefit standards of health care reform legislation, these waiver criteria are subject to periodic change. Minimum waiver criteria the university requires may be adjusted to reflect new legislation or change in university policy. Therefore, it is possible that an insurance plan you have used to waive enrollment in university-sponsored health insurance in previous years may not meet the minimum insurance waiver criteria for a future year.
All waiver criteria must be met in order for your waiver to be approved. Waiver Criteria (PDF)
1. Your UC Merced student ID and password.
3. You MUST know the following information about your insurance prior to entering the waiver application website or you will be denied:
- The name of your insurance company;
- The policy number; and
- The group number.
4. Log into your UC Merced Student Portal.
5. Select Fall Student Health Insurance Waiver on your checklist for the Fall Semester or Optional Spring Health Insurance Waiver under the Student Services tab on your portal for the Spring Semester.
6. You will be redirected to Academic HealthPlans website, our waiver administrator.
7. You must complete and submit the online waiver on the Academic HealthPlans website.
8. Print a copy of your approval/denial for your records. This is proof you completed a waiver.
Once you have submitted your waiver application, you will immediately be notified if your waiver is tentatively approved or denied and you will be sent an email confirmation to your UC Merced email account. It is your responsibility to prove the waiver application has been submitted and approved. It is recommended you keep your email confirmation for your records.
Please contact the Insurance Department by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org in order to file a late waiver. The $50.00 fee must be paid prior to receiving a late waiver and the receipt sent to email@example.com. Paying the late waiver fee DOES NOT guarantee your waiver will be approved. This is a processing charge that allows you to waive out late.