Waiver Checklist Information
Applying for a Waiver: Waiver applications are completed online during the fall or spring waiver periods. A new waiver application has to be completed each academic year in the fall.
Be sure you remain covered.
If your health coverage is terminated for any reason, contact your campus’ Student Health Insurance Office to re-enroll in UC SHIP.
|Semester||Waiver Opens||Waiver Deadline||Late Waiver Deadline w/ $50 Late Fee.|
|Fall Semester||May 1, 2017||August 1, 2017||August 9, 2017 NO LATE WAIVER|
|Spring Semester||November 13, 2017||January 8, 2018||January 16, 2018|
** Your waiver application may be subject to audit for which you may be asked to provide additional information regarding your health insurance plan. If the coverage information you provide does not meet the university’s criteria and this request fails to pass the audit, you will be enrolled in the UC SHIP and charged the premium fee for the full coverage period on your student account.
** If you fail to provide documentation when asked, your approval will be canceled, you will be enrolled in UC SHIP, and the appropriate UC SHIP insurance premium fee for the full coverage period will be billed to your student account.
In an effort to align minimum waiver criteria with the benefit standards of health care reform legislation, these waiver criteria are subject to periodic change. Minimum waiver criteria the university requires may be adjusted to reflect new legislation or change in university policy. Therefore, it is possible that an insurance plan you have used to waive enrollment in university-sponsored health insurance in previous years may not meet the minimum insurance waiver criteria for a future year.
All waiver criteria must be met in order for your waiver to be approved. Waiver Criteria (PDF)
1. Your UC Merced student ID and password.
3. You MUST know information about your insurance, the name of your insurance company, policy number, group number. You must know this information before going into the waiver or you will be denied.
4. Log into your UC Merced Student Portal.
5. Select Fall Student Health Insurance Waiver on your checklist for the Fall Semester or Optional Spring Health Insurance Waiver under the Student Services tab on your portal for the Spring Semester.
6. You will be re-directed to the Wells Fargo Insurance Services, our waiver administrator.
7. You must complete and submit the online waiver on the Wells Fargo website.
8. Print a copy of your approval/denial for your records. This is proof that you completed a waiver.
Once you have submitted your waiver application, you will immediately be notified if your waiver was approved or denied and you will be sent an email confirmation to your UC Merced email account.
If you make a mistake on your waiver application, the online waiver cannot be reset.
You will need to complete the waiver appeal process and will require you to submit documentation from your insurance company about your plan benefits for review. It can take the Insurance Office up to 30 days to process waiver appeals.
It is your responsibility to prove that the waiver application has been submitted and approved. It is recommended you keep your email confirmation for your records.
The $50.00 Late Fee Must be paid prior to receiving a Late Waiver. Paying the Late waiver fee DOES NOT guarentee your waiver will be approved. This is a processing charge that allows you to waive out late.