Being emotionally well is typically defined as possessing the ability to feel and express human emotions such as happiness, sadness and anger.
- Cope effectively with stress.
- Develop awareness of personal feelings and feelings of others.
- Think positively about self and others.
- Make decisions by integrating feelings, thoughts, behaviors, values and desires.
- Form healthy relationships with others.
- Realistically assess personal strengths and limitations, enjoy challenges and recognize conflict as a potential sources of growth.
The intellectual dimension encourages creative, stimulating mental activities. People who posses a high level of intellectual wellness have an active mind and continue to learn.
- Challenge self to use intellectual abilities.
- Encourage creative mental activity.
- Expand knowledge of self and world.
- Avoid idle thoughts and boredom.
Occupational wellness involves preparing and making use of your gifts, skills and talents in order to gain purpose, happiness and enrichment in your life.
- Develop and understanding of personal values and lifestyle preferences.
- Carefully investigate occupational choices that support personal values and lifestyle preferences.
- Develop a realistic strategy for attaining occupational goals.
Physical wellness encompasses a variety of health behaviors including adequate exercise, proper nutrition, and abstaining from harmful habits such as drug and alcohol abuse.
- Take initiative to reduce risk of chronic disease and prevent injury.
- Be active and informed regarding to personal health care decisions.
- Follow comprehensive fitness routine, including cardiovascular, strength and flexibility training.
- Make healthy nutritional choices.
- Make health choices regarding use of drugs and alcohol.
Social wellness refers to our ability to interact successfully in our global community and to live up to the expectations and demands of our personal roles.
- Maintain meaningful relationships with others.
- Adapt to various social situations.
- Contribute to welfare of the community.
Spiritual wellness involves possessing a set of guiding beliefs, principles, or values that help give direction to one’s life.
- Establish personal ethics, values and code for living.
- Integrate personal beliefs and values with actions.
- Develop a sense of purpose and meaning to life.
- Experience love, joy and fulfillment.
Environmental wellness is an awareness of the unstable state of the earth and the effects of your daily habits on the physical environment. It consists of maintaining a way of life that maximizes harmony with the earth and minimizes harm to the environment.
- Develop and appreciation for the external environment and the role individuals play in preserving and improving environmental conditions.
- Take personal and social responsibility for creating sustainable communities.
- Encourage minimizing disposable products.
- Evaluate purchases and conveniences based on their environmental impacts.